18(b) How do you expect that your proposed gTLD will benefit registrants, Internet users, and others?
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
18(B)I. WHAT IS THE GOAL OF YOUR PROPOSED gTLD IN TERMS OF AREAS OF SPECIALTY, SERVICE LEVELS OR REPUTATION?
The key goals of the proposed new .acer gTLD are in line with ICANN’s Affirmation of Commitments: to promote consumer trust, competition and consumer choice. Acer also seeks to foster its global online reputation and provide an authoritative internet space through which Acer is able to communicate with its customers safely, directly and effectively. The ability to create domain names on demand related to specific marketing, specialty service and product development supports these goals. Strengthened security measures, service levels and more effective functionality will provide a trusted and positive user experience.
18(B)II. WHAT DO YOU ANTICIPATE YOUR PROPOSED GTLD WILL ADD TO THE CURRENT SPACE, IN TERMS OF COMPETITION, DIFFERENTIATION, OR INNOVATION?
It is anticipated that the proposed .acer gTLD will make positive contributions to the wider internet community by providing:
DIFFERENTIATION (INCREASED TRUST):
The .acer gTLD will simplify how internet users interact with Acer by providing a distinctive domain space. Internet users will be able to directly navigate to the .acer gTLD site, saving time and resources searching for an official site. A profitable and sustainable business model is instrumental to Acer’s continuing growth. However, the current domain name system has shown that it is vulnerable to malicious abuses from domain name registrations which seek to exploit consumer confusion. Acer can address some of these vulnerabilities by maintaining complete control over the domain names registered under the .acer domain space. Acer seeks to develop a highly secured internet space ensuring its users of the authenticity of its websites under the .acer domain space. Together with consumer trust, internet users will be able to rely on the authoritativeness of the domain names under the .acer domain space, which will differentiate interaction between internet users and Acer online.
The differentiation of the .acer gTLD as a trusted site for Acer will drive existing and new TLD registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs. Internet users wishing to engage with Acer and with suppliers of competing products or services will be encouraged to interact with domain names under the .acer domain space. As a result, .acer will have a flow on effect to enable increased competition. Therefore, the benefits of the proposed .acer gTLD will be distributed not only to its direct customers, but to the internet community at large forcing improved services and competitive pricing in the market place.
With the expansion of the internet community to all corners of the world, the existing TLD structure presents limitations, not only in the availability of domain names for registrants, but also to businesses and organisations establishing a coherent global online brand presence to meet their evolving business needs. It is often difficult to register a domain name in existing domain space due to unavailability of the desired name. This problem is amplified for organisations such as Acer who work across many different jurisdictions and geographical markets. Even when the desired domain name is available, it may come with a high price tag associated with a purchase of such desired name from a third party. With the proposed .acer gTLD, Acer has the ability to establish global brand recognition with its capacity to create second or third level domain names including the use of geographic names and IDNs on demand which are relevant to its customer base, services and products. Acer will be able to combine its use of the domain space with innovative user focused marketing and services to address the currently unmet needs in the existing domain name system providing greater consumer choice.
The proposed .acer gTLD will provide a positive user experience, which meets the changing and growing needs of the global internet community. Acer will maintain control in the registration and use of domain names and will ensure that the new gTLD will only be used for purposes authorised by Acer. Therefore, the .acer gTLD will:
- provide an easy and intuitive reference and access point for internet users;
- represent authenticity thus promoting user confidence;
- direct internet users to relevant information in a timely manner by creating domain names on demand;
- use IDNs to enable customers to interact directly in their native language;
- use geographic names to localise its websites to connect with internet users in the relevant regions and to comply with local laws;
- enhance security and minimise security risks by implementing necessary technical and policy measures;
- strengthen brand reputation and user confidence by eliminating user confusion; and
- prevent potential abuses in the registration process reducing overall costs to businesses and users.
As the new .acer gTLD expands and evolves, Acer may, at a later date, consider offering the use of second level domain names to its retailers to gain more customers. In this endeavour, Acer will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Acer will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .acer gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
The .acer gTLD should address the concerns that the current domain name system is open to potential malicious abuse and user confusion in the registration processes. Although the current system allows an eligible party to lodge a claim through existing Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) or other dispute resolution processes, the .acer gTLD will reduce potential abuses in the registration processes and overall costs to internet users. User confidence in the domain name system will be strengthened, which will ultimately contribute towards promoting ICANN’s core values in benefiting the public interest.
18(B)IV. PROVIDE A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF THE APPLICANTʹS INTENDED REGISTRATION POLICIES IN SUPPORT OF THE GOALS LISTED ABOVE.
The proposed registration policy is attached in response to Question 28.
Only affiliate entities of Acer will be eligible to register domain names in .acer at this stage. The domain name registration processes will address the requirements mandated by ICANN, including rights abuse prevention measures.
18(B)V. WILL YOUR PROPOSED gTLD IMPOSE ANY MEASURES FOR PROTECTING THE PRIVACY OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION OF REGISTRANTS OR USERS? IF SO, PLEASE DESCRIBE ANY SUCH MEASURES.
Acer is committed to protection of privacy and confidential information in accordance with its objective of increasing consumer trust and providing a safe and legitimate internet space for internet users. Privacy and confidential information will be protected in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations relating to internet security, privacy and user’s confidential information including the Personal Information Protection Act 1995 (Taiwan, Republic of China).
- Collection of personal information: Acer does not generally require its users to provide personally identifiable information. However, Acer’s websites may recognise and store its users’ IP addresses only to enhance the overall usability of its websites. Acer may also ask for a user’s personal information such as an email address, name, mailing address to enable the user to make a purchase, register a product, correspond with Acer, or subscribe to its mailing list. Acer ensures that any submission of personal information is voluntary. Acer does not collect or user any personal information collected for any unrelated purposes.
- Use of personal information: Acer uses the personal information collected to support its relationship with its users. To the extent permitted by law, the information provided to Acer may be accessed or transferred to an Acer company in another country and⁄or territory.
- Visitors from the European Union: Acer ensures that appropriate steps will be implemented to provide adequate protection for any information transferred from an Acer company in the European Union to an Acer company outside the European Union.
- Inquiries or questions of rights: Acer ensures that its users are aware of their rights towards the processing of their personal information.
- Security measures: To prevent security breaches, Acer collects and stores all personal information in a separate location from its websites, with no connection to the internet or any other network. Furthermore, Acer implements other types of security techniques to protect any personal information from unauthorised access by users.
- Opt-out of use of personal information: Acer makes sure that users can opt-out of its use of their personal information.
- Children’s guidelines: Acer will not knowingly collect online information from children or minors.
Acer will deploy Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC) which is intended to benefit both Acer and its users interacting with Acer online. DNSSEC provides additional security by validating information in the transmission, therefore it is intended to benefit those who publish information in the domain name system (DNS) and the users who retrieve information from the new .acer gTLD. Acer already implements measures to protect privacy or confidential information of its users against misuse, loss, alteration and unauthorised access. Such measures include the use of SET or industry-standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption and user passwords. Acer also plans to implement the use of data encryption within the new .acer domain space.
Acer will continue to apply all security measures currently implemented and will comply with all other policies and practices required by ICANN in the Registry Agreement and any relevant Consensus Policy for protecting the privacy and confidential information of registrants and users in the new .acer domain space.
18(B)VI. DESCRIBE WHETHER AND IN WHAT WAYS OUTREACH AND COMMUNICATIONS WILL HELP TO ACHIEVE YOUR PROJECTED BENEFITS.
The proposed new gTLD will be publicised by a media plan to promote recognition of the new gTLD within the internet community to be a trusted site and as a sign of authenticity.
During the initial stage of the operation of the proposed new gTLD, it is anticipated that internet users will be re-directed to current websites. However, over time, it is foreseen that communication to the internet community of the existence of the proposed new gTLD and encouragement to utilise the trusted site will contribute towards minimising malicious abuses and protecting internet users.
Similar gTLD applications: (1)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.pitney||Pitney Bowes Inc.||View|