18(a) Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.chanel||Chanel International B.V.||View|
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .CHANEL gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .chanel gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Chanel International B.V. (Chanel) can create and control domain spaces that promote and protect its brand identity and authenticity. Chanel is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Cheremaw SARL which, together with its affiliates such as Chanel, Inc., forms part of the Chanel Group of Companies (Chanel Group). The .chanel gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for the Chanel Group to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. Second and third level domain names will be utilized for online marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Since its establishment in France in 1924 by Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel, the Chanel brand remains dedicated to luxury, fashion style and image. The Chanel Group offers a broad range of luxury products, including Haute Couture, ready-to-wear, fragrance, cosmetics, leather goods, accessories, fine jewelry and watches. With offices around the world, the Chanel Group has over 24 boutiques and over 90 locations at select retailers within the US. As a global luxury brand, the Chanel Group also maintains over 180 boutiques and stores throughout Asia, Europe, Middle East, Oceania and North and South America. As a luxury and style icon, strengthened brand identity and brand recognition together with consumer trust are paramount considerations in the Chanel Group’s business activities.
Business activities are increasingly conducted over the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction between businesses and customers. As a result, both businesses and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .chanel gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with the Chanel Group online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Chanel will contribute towards achieving ICANN initiatives in line with ICANN’s Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .chanel gTLD registry will be operated in a centralized manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Chanel and its affiliates at this stage which will provide added consumer trust that .chanel domain names are authentic. As the .chanel domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Chanel’s control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .chanel domain space;
- competition: the .chanel gTLD is anticipated to contribute to ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .chanel gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Chanel’s marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with the Chanel Group online. As Chanel has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .chanel domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .chanel gTLD, the projected number of registrations are likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of domain names between 5 and 20 will be registered in the first few years. However, the number of domain name registration is likely to increase as Chanel develops and implements new plans for the .chanel gTLD including creating domain names relevant to its products and services.
Chanel intends to use geographic names in the second or third level domain names at a later stage. Chanel will use geographic names to localize its websites in countries relevant to its operation in accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
At this stage, Chanel does not intend to utilize Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level. However, as the use of the .chanel gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that Chanel may utilize IDNs within the .chanel domain space to allow internet users to engage with .chanel in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Chanel is a well-recognized global brand with its “Chanel” trademarks registered by the Chanel Group throughout the world. The Chanel Group also owns trademarks in its wide range of luxury products. Chanel believes that the .chanel gTLD is unlikely to cause confusion with either a generic term or any existing TLDs. Chanel trademarks are a leading global brand with significant reputation across the world as a luxury fashion house and Chanel has used the Chanel brand in conjunction with its luxury goods businesses for almost 90 years. As such, the Chanel brand is famous as a luxurious fashion and style icon.
Further, the Chanel Group has over 180 existing domain names with an exact match to the applied-for .chanel including but not limited to chanel.com, chanel.info, chanel.us, chanel.eu and chanel.com.tw.
Recently, Chanel was successful in securing sunrise applications for chanel.biz, chanel.info, chanel.mobi and chanel.asia based on existing trademark registration.
Similar gTLD applications: (0)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|