18(b) How do you expect that your proposed gTLD will benefit registrants, Internet users, and others?
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
18(b)i. WHAT IS THE GOAL OF YOUR PROPOSED gTLD In Terms Of Areas Of Specialty, Service Levels Or Reputation?
The key goals of the proposed new .bloomingdales gTLD are in line with ICANN’s Affirmation of Commitments: to promote consumer trust, competition and consumer choice. Macy’s also seeks to foster its online reputation and provide an authoritative internet space through which Macy’s brand, Bloomingdale’s, is able to communicate with its customers directly and effectively. The ability to create domain names on demand related to specific marketing, specialty service and product development supports these goals. Strengthened security measures, service levels and more effective functionality will provide a trusted and positive user experience.
18(b)ii. WHAT DO YOU ANTICIPATE YOUR PROPOSED gTLD Will Add To The Current Space, In Terms Of Competition, Differentiation, Or Innovation?
It is anticipated that the proposed .bloomingdales gTLD will make positive contributions to the wider internet community by providing:
DIFFERENTIATION (INCREASED TRUST):
Macy’s adopts an omnichannel integration approach that blurs the line between the company’s stores, the internet and mobile technology. This approach allows the company to respond to its users’ needs regardless of the way they shop. Macy’s believes the approach helps the company develop deeper relationships with its loyal customers who appreciate the flexibility and convenience that the approach brings to the shopping experience. Macy’s seeks to adopt this approach with the .bloomingdales gTLD by providing a distinctive domain space for its internet users and simplifying how its users interact with the Bloomingdale’s brand. Internet users will be able to directly navigate to the .bloomingdales gTLD site, saving time and resources searching for an official site. Macy’s plans to enhance user experience by simplifying user navigation around Bloomingdale’s diverse content with the .bloomingdales gTLD and, at the same time, personalise customer experience by providing more relevant and engaging content. The current domain name system has shown that it is vulnerable to malicious abuses due to registration of domain names which seek to exploit consumer confusion. Macy’s can address some of these vulnerabilities by maintaining complete control over the domain names registered under the .bloomingdales domain space. Together with consumer trust, internet users will be able to rely on the authoritativeness of the domain names under the .bloomingdales domain space, which will differentiate interaction between internet users and Bloomingdale’s.
The differentiation of the .bloomingdales gTLD as a trusted site for Macy’s will drive existing and new TLD registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs. Internets users will be encouraged to interact with domain names under the .bloomingdales domain space. As a result, .bloomingdales will have a flow on effect to enable increased competition. Therefore, the benefits of the proposed .bloomingdales gTLD will be distributed not only to its direct customers, but to the internet community at large forcing improved services and competitive pricing in the market place.
With the expansion of the internet community to all corners of the world, the existing TLD structure presents limitations, not only in the availability of domain names for registrants, but also to businesses and organisations establishing a coherent global online brand presence to meet their evolving business needs. It is often difficult to register a domain name in existing domain space due to unavailability of the desired name. Even when the desired domain name is available, it may come with a high price tag associated with a purchase of such desired name from a third party. With localisation as part of Macy’s key strategic marketing plan, Macy’s invests in talent, technology and marketing that allows it to ensure that each and every Macy’s store is tailored for the customer shopping in that location by tailoring its merchandise assortments, space allocations, service levels, visual merchandising and special events. Using the proposed .bloomingdales gTLD, Macy’s will be able to combine its use of the domain space with innovative user focused marketing and localised services to address the currently unmet needs in the existing domain name system providing greater consumer choice.
The proposed .bloomingdales gTLD will provide a positive user experience, which meets the changing and growing needs of the global internet community. Macy’s will maintain control in the registration and use of domain names and will ensure that the new gTLD will only be used for purposes authorised by Macy’s. Therefore, the .bloomingdales gTLD will:
- provide an easy and intuitive reference and access point for internet users;
- simplify user navigation around Bloomingdale’s websites;
- represent authenticity thus promoting user confidence;
- direct internet users to relevant information in a timely manner by creating domain names on demand to align with Macy’s localisation merchandising and marketing plans for the Bloomingdale’s brand;
- allow the use of IDNs to enable customer to interact directly in their native language at a later stage;
- allow the use of geographic names at a later stage to localise its websites to connect with internet users in the relevant territories and to comply with local laws;
- enhance security and minimise security risks by implementing necessary technical and policy measures;
- strengthen brand reputation and user confidence by limiting the .bloomingdales domain space to Macy’s exclusive use thereby eliminating user confusion; and
- prevent potential abuses in the registration process reducing overall costs to businesses and users.
At this stage, Macy’s does not intend to use geographic names or Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level. However, as the use of the .bloomingdales gTLD evolves, Macy’s may use geographic names and⁄or IDNs within the .bloomingdales domain space. The use of geographic names and⁄or IDNs are intended to:
- allow internet users to engage with .bloomingdales in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity;
- localise its websites to connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the relevant territory.
The use of geographic names will be in accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22.
The .bloomingdales gTLD should address the concerns that the current domain name system is open to potential malicious abuse and user confusion in the registration processes. Although the current system allows an eligible party to lodge a claim through existing Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) or other dispute resolution processes, the .bloomingdales gTLD will reduce potential abuses in the registration processes and overall costs to internet users. User confidence in the domain name system will be strengthened, which will ultimately contribute towards promoting ICANN’s core values in benefiting the public interest.
18(b)iv. PROVIDE A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF THE APPLICANTʹS INTENDED REGISTRATION POLICIES IN SUPPORT OF THE GOALS LISTED ABOVE.
The proposed registration policy is attached in response to Question 28.
Only Macy’s will be eligible to register domain names in .bloomingdales at this stage. The domain name registration processes will address the requirements mandated by ICANN, including rights abuse prevention measures.
18(b)v. WILL YOUR PROPOSED gTLD IMPOSE ANY MEASURES FOR PROTECTING THE PRIVACY OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION OF REGISTRANTS OR USERS? IF SO, PLEASE DESCRIBE ANY SUCH MEASURES.
Macy’s is committed to protection of privacy and confidential information in accordance with its objective of increasing consumer trust and providing a safe and legitimate internet space for internet users. Privacy and confidential information will be protected in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations relating to internet security, privacy and user’s confidential information including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act 1986 (US), Controlling the assault of non-solicited pornography and marketing (Can-Spam) Act (2003) (US)and the EU-US Safe Harbor Privacy Principles.
- Collection and use of information: Macy’s only collects personal information that users voluntarily submit to its website, and the company uses that information for the purpose for which it was submitted.
- Security of information: Macy’s implements appropriate physical, electronic and managerial procedures to prevent unauthorised access and to safeguard security of information held.
- Children’s privacy: Macy’s does not knowingly collect information from children on its website.
- Type of information collected: Bloomingdale’s only collects personal information when a customer registers, submits a question, request to be on its mailing list, enter an online contest, or place an order.
- Use of information: Information collected will only be used to enhance Bloomingdale’s services towards its customers
- Sharing of information
- Users’ choices regarding use of their personal information
- Security of information
- Information about children: Bloomingdale’s does not collect personal information on any person under 13
- International customer privacy
Macy’s will deploy Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC) which is intended to benefit both Macy’s and its users interacting with Bloomingdale’s online. DNSSEC provides additional security by validating information in the transmission, therefore it is intended to benefit those who publish information in the domain name system (DNS) and the users who retrieve information from the new .bloomingdales gTLD. Macy’s already implements measures to protect privacy or confidential information of its users against misuse, loss, alteration and unauthorised access. This also includes Bloomingdale’s own security measures, which include:
- The use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology;
- The use of secure servers; and
- The use of firewalls.
Macy’s will continue to apply all security measures currently implemented and will comply with all other policies and practices required by ICANN in the Registry Agreement and any relevant Consensus Policy for protecting the privacy and confidential information of registrants and users in the new .bloomingdales domain space.
18(b)vi. DESCRIBE WHETHER AND IN WHAT WAYS OUTREACH AND COMMUNICATIONS WILL HELP TO ACHIEVE YOUR PROJECTED BENEFITS.
The proposed new gTLD will be publicised by a media plan to promote recognition of the new gTLD within the internet community to be a trusted site and as a sign of authenticity.
Bloomingdaleʹs has an extensive media presence covering print, broadcast, and digital channels. With the addition of the gTLD, Bloomingdaleʹs will ensure that the general public is informed of the existence of the new gTLD through these channels.
During the initial stage of the operation of the proposed new gTLD, it is anticipated that internet users may be re-directed to current websites. However, over time, it is foreseen that communication to the internet community of the existence of the proposed new gTLD and encouragement to utilise the trusted site will contribute towards minimising malicious abuses and protecting internet users.
Similar gTLD applications: (1)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|