18(a) Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .LINDE gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .linde gTLD will operate as a closed registry, in which Linde Aktiengesellschaft (Linde) can create and control domain names within .linde that promote the identity and authenticity of its brand. In this regard, .linde will be used by Linde to provide information, services and resources to its customers in a way that promotes trust and convenience. The .linde gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Linde, the Linde Group and its affiliates that are associated with the brand. The creation and control of the .linde domain space will strengthen the overall corporate identity and image of Linde.
Linde is the holding company and management company of The Linde Group, a world-wide gases and engineering company with over 600 affiliated companies and 50 500 employees, in more than 100 countries, with EUR 13,787bn in sale during the 2011 financial year. Linde focuses on the expansion of its international business with forward-looking products and services, with sustainability and corporate responsibility towards its shareholders, business partners, employees, society and the environment as one of its core strategies in every one of its business areas, regions and locations across the globe. Linde is also committed to technologies and products that unite the goals of customer value and sustainable development. In this regard, continuous innovation, communication with its consumers on the internet and maintaining consumer trust are paramount considerations in all its activities.
The business activities are increasingly conducted over the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction with its customers. As a result, business and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .linde domain name will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Linde online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction. The .linde gTLD will assure customers of the authenticity of the Linde brand and its related engineering, industrial gases and healthcare products and services.
Linde’s mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest. Linde is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN’s Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- Consumer Trust: the .linde gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Linde and its affiliate entities, which will provide added consumer trust that .linde domain names are trustworthy and that no .linde domain names are registered to unrelated third parties. As .linde domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Linde’s control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .linde domain space;
- Competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to such initiatives through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .linde gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and,
- Consumer Choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Linde’s marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Linde. .linde gTLD will facilitate the introduction of existing and new products as well as new markets by category (gas.linde), division (healthcare.linde) or product brand (hiq.linde) within the well-defined .linde domain space. As Linde has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .linde domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .linde gTLD, the projected number of registrations is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of domain names will be registered in the first year. Linde intends to utilise the second level domain as a geographic indicator in each of the 86 countries in which it currently operates, in accordance with its registration policies and the third level domain for the services which it provides, such as; Corporate, Gases, Healthcare and Engineering. It may also utilise the .linde gTLD for global sites for campaigns, events, branding and satellite sites. As this domain structure is implemented, the number of registrations is likely to increase to around 500 domain names over the years.
Linde will be able to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policies, Linde will use geographic names to localise its websites, in countries in which it operates (currently 86 countries). The use of geographic names are intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Linde will also utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level, including languages such as Arabic, Armenian, Belarusian, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, Georgian, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Kazakh, Korean, Khmer, Macedonia, Mongolian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Sinhalese, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Ukrainian. The use of IDNs will allow internet users to engage with .linde in their native languages creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity. As the use of the .linde string evolves, it is anticipated that the use of IDNs, including additional languages, will increase within the .linde domain space.
Linde is a well-recognised global brand with its trademarks registered in 105 countries and territories including but not limited to the the following categories: Gases for industrial, commercial and scientific purposes, fuel gases, gases for medical and therapeutic purposes, gas related machines, business consultancy and supply management, and scientific technological services.
Further, Linde has 95 domain names with an exact match to the “linde” trademark and the applied-for string across various gTLDs and ccTLDs, including .com, .co.uk, .nl, .cn, .de, .eu and .jp.
Additionally, Linde has over 600 Country Code TLDs (ccTLDs) and 150 gTLDs containing the word “linde”.
Recently, Linde was successful in securing sunrise applications for the following domain spaces based on existing trademark registration: .eu, .co, .qa
Similar gTLD applications: (0)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|