18(a) Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.jcb||JCB Co., Ltd.||View|
The mission and purpose of the new restricted .jcb gTLD is to benefit internet users by ensuring increased trust and confidence through the elimination of user confusion and assurance of brand authenticity, free from false impersonation of third parties.
The new .jcb gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which JCB Co., Ltd. (JCB) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand identity, authenticity and online presence. In this regard, the .jcb gTLD will be used by JCB to provide accurate information, unique high quality services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes a sense of security, a user-friendly address structure, brand credibility and utility. The .jcb gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for JCB, accessible via an intuitive and catchy address. Second and third level domains can then be utilized to provide geographically relevant content, information and unique services, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
JCB was established in 1961 and is the only international credit card company based in Asia, with its headquarters in Tokyo, Japan. JCB established dominance over the Japanese credit card market in 1968 and has been a Japanese top brand for over 50 years. JCB has been pursuing independent expansion since 1981 to make the JCB brand an internationally accepted global brand. JCB currently has over 61 million card members, of those approximately 9.75 million customers are using JCB cards issued in countries and areas outside of Japan. Over 20 million merchants worldwide across 190 countries and territories, representing a wide range of businesses, accept JCB credit cards, offering endless possibilities to JCB card holders. JCB has over 2,500 employees with a net revenue of USD 2,609 million and a profit of USD 304 million (as at September 2011) as well as an annual turnover of 9,662 billion Yen for the 2010 financial year. At the 64th ʺDent Su Advertising Awardsʺ for lifestyle and culture for both Newspaper Advertising and Television Advertising, JCB has won Outstanding Awards. The winners were selected from a total of 2,081 entries.
As JCB intends to proactively develop consumer trust and the credibility of its brand, continuous innovation and consumer confidence are paramount considerations in all its activities.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .jcb gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with JCB online and will provide a sense of security free from false impersonation by third parties, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
JCBʹs mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANNʹs initiatives to promote public interest. JCB is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANNʹs Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .jcb gTLD registry will be operated in a centralized manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to JCB, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .jcb domain names are trustworthy and secure. As .jcb domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under JCBʹs control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .jcb domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANNʹs initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .jcb gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will provide internet users with a wider range of choices with economic transaction costs. .jcb will also enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting JCBʹs marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with JCB online. As JCB has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .jcb domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .jcb gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of domain names (up to 50) will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase to 150 to 300 domain names as JCB develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
JCB intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, JCB will use geographic names to localize its websites in Japan and the countries in which JCB has presence and⁄or representation. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
JCB will also utilize Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level in Japanese. The use of IDNs will allow internet users to engage with .jcb in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity. As the use of the .jcb gTLD evolves the use of IDNs, including additional languages, will increase within the .jcb domain space.
JCB is a well-recognized global brand with its ʺJCBʺ trademarks and trademarks including the term ʺJCBʺ (222 in total ) registered in 18 countries and categories covering JCBʹs credit card business as its core business, including classes 36 (insurance, financial affairs, monetary affairs) and 35 (advertising, business management, business administration, office functions).
Further, JCB has existing domain names in the following spaces:
- gTLDs: jcbcard.com
- country-code TLDs (ccTLDs): jcb-card.jp, jcb-eit.jp, jcb.co.jp, jcb.tw, jcbcard.cn, jcb-card.jp, jcbcards.jp, jcbcard.kr, jcbtravel.co.jp
Recently, JCB was successful in securing sunrise application for the following domain spaces based on existing trademark registration: .asia, .xxx
JCB believes that the .jcb gTLD is unlikely to cause confusion with either a generic term or any existing TLDs. JCB has over 200 trademarks registered and has been a top credit card brand for over 50 years with a strong global reputation with over 70 million card members and over 20 million merchants worldwide accepting JCB credit cards. JCB has used the term ʺJCBʺ in conjunction with its credit card business since its establishment, as such, JCB is a well-established global credit card company with a strong reputation.
Similar gTLD applications: (0)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|