18(a) Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.ira||Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC||View|
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .IRA GTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND THE ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .ira gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC (Fidelity) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .ira gTLD will be used by Fidelity or its affiliates to provide authoritative information, services and resources regarding Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) to consumers in a way that promotes trust, confidence and reliability. Second and third level domains can then be utilized for topics regarding IRAs, Fidelity’s range of IRAs and related retirement products and services, as well as for education and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Fidelity is a subsidiary of FMR LLC, the parent company of the affiliated group of businesses collectively known as “Fidelity Investments”. Fidelity Investments is one of the world’s largest providers of financial products and services including investment management, retirement planning, portfolio guidance, securities brokerage, and benefits outsourcing. Founded in 1946, Fidelity Investments provides financial products and services to more than 20 million individuals and institutions, as well as through 5,000 financial intermediary firms. Fidelity Investments is a leader in the US in retirement funds and is the No.1 provider of IRAs and 401(k) retirement savings plans with over 24 million participants. Fidelity Investments provides defined contribution, defined benefit, health and welfare and stock plan services to over 19,000 employers. As of February 29, 2012, Fidelity Investments had assets under administration of USD 3.6 trillion, including managed assets of USD 1.6 trillion and at the close of 2011, Fidelity Investments had USD 875 billion in retirement assets under management. Fidelity Investments employs over 39,000 people and services retail customers through its 168 Investor Centers across the US. Fidelity Investments’ websites handled an average of more than 3.1 million visits per day during the fourth quarter of 2011. In this regard, brand reputation, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities. The .ira gTLD will provide a secure and reliable online location where current and potential customers and other Internet users can interact with Fidelity and each other and learn about retirement planning, related industry trends and Fidelity’s range of IRAs and other retirement savings, calculators, tools, products and services.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. .ira will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Fidelity online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Fidelity’s mission and purpose of the gTLD share ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest. Fidelity is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN’s Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .ira gTLD will be operated in a centralized manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Fidelity and its affiliate entities, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that the .ira gTLD domain names are trustworthy. As domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Fidelity’s control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .ira gTLD;
- competition: the .ira gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest through its operation being focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .ira gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the .ira gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Fidelity’s marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Fidelity. As Fidelity has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .ira gTLD, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .ira gTLD, the projected number of registrations is likely to be limited, with about 5 to 100 domain names to be registered in the first three years. The number of registrations is likely to increase as Fidelity implements innovative new financial and investment products, services and marketing campaigns.
As the new .ira gTLD expands, Fidelity will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, and will maintain consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Fidelity will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .ira gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Fidelity intends to create relevant domain names including some corresponding to its financial products and services, its business unit or affiliated entity names, or geographic names at the second or third level. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names and two-character country code labels as outlined in response to Question 22, Fidelity may use geographic names to localise its websites in countries in which it, or an affiliate, operates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
At this stage, Fidelity does not intend to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level. However, as the use of the .ira gTLD evolves, Fidelity may wish to utilise IDNs to allow internet users to engage with .ira in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Fidelity has existing domain names containing the term “IRA” including in the following spaces:
- gTLDs: irarollover.com, fidelityira.com, fidelityiracenter.com, fidelityrothira.com, fidelityrolloverira.com, fidelityinvestmentsira.com, fidelitysimpleira.com, bestira.mobi, sepira.mobi, iracontribution.mobi, traditionalira.mobi, rolloverira.mobi, fidelityira.mobi, simpleira.mobi, nofeeira.mobi and netsimple-ira.com
Fidelity is a leading global brand with a strong reputation around the world, particularly in the US and Canada. Fidelity has used the term IRA in conjunction with its retirement accounts and planning businesses for over 25 years. As such, Fidelity is well known for being a leading provider of IRAs and other products and services relating to retirement. Fidelity believes that the .ira gTLD is unlikely to cause confusion with either a generic term or any existing TLDs.
Similar gTLD applications: (3)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.retirement||Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC||View|
|.mutualfunds||Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC||View|
|.fidelity||Fidelity Brokerage Services LLC||View|