18(b) How do you expect that your proposed gTLD will benefit registrants, Internet users, and others?
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
Nokia currently serves Internet users with domain names registered in the existing Top-Level domains. Nokia anticipates that unique and authentic .nokia gTLD registry can provide future opportunities for differentiation, innovation and consumer choice.
To support these goals, .nokia gTLD registry is being designed to operate as a Single Entity Registry with all domains owned by Nokia Corporation. It will be closed to third parties with no association with Nokia. Domains will only be allocated for the use of Nokia Corporation or its Affiliates, to support group’s commercial objectives.
Initially names in the .nokia gTLD registry may forward to existing Nokia’s sites under .com or ccTLDs. In the future Nokia may optimise its gTLD registry’s mode of operation in line with business goals and what emerges as Best Practice for Dot Brand owners or in response to ICANN consensus policies. This is in accordance with the statement of former ICANN Chairman Peter Dengate Thrush on 22 June 2011 when he announced the launch of the new gTLD programme saying, ʺTodayʹs decision will usher in a new Internet age. We have provided a platform for the next generation of creativity and inspiration.ʺ
What is the goal of your proposed gTLD in terms of areas of speciality, service levels or reputation?
The goal of the .nokia gTLD registry in terms of speciality and reputation is to reflect the uniqueness and value that lies in the Nokia brand, listed as the 14th Most Valuable Global Brand by InterBrand in the 2011.
In terms of service levels, the .nokia gTLD registry will be run to the highest-levels of professionalism.
What do you anticipate your proposed gTLD will add to the current space in terms of competition, differentiation or innovation?
Nokia can by definition differentiate with unique and authentic .nokia Single Entity Registry.
In the future Nokia will explore a variety of use cases for its TLD registry. Nokia anticipates that future innovations and technological development in the market can provide future opportunities for differentiation, innovation and consumer choice.
Providing customers the best user experience in terms of ease of use, relevance and reliability is at the heart of Nokia’s product and service offering.
Only Nokia and its Affiliates will be able to register second level domain names in the .nokia gTLD registry. Internet users will not have to worry about malicious behaviours or false or inaccurate information from a site under a .nokia gTLD.
Localization is a fundamental element of good user experience. Over time, Nokia intends to explore the option of offering IDNs in the scripts listed in its answer to Question 44, thereby enhancing the usability of its domain names for internet users in different world markets.
Provide a complete description of the applicants intended registration policies in support of the goals above
Nokia Corporation is the operator of the .nokia registry. The Nokia Domain Name Management team is responsible for the development, maintenance and enforcement of the .nokia Domain Management Policy (NDMP). This policy defines the rules associated with eligibility and domain name allocation, sets out the license terms governing the use of a .nokia domain name and describes the dispute resolution policies for the .nokia TLD. This policy is intended to be updated and revised regularly to reflect Nokia’s commercial and strategic interests and, where appropriate, ICANN consensus policies.
The .nokia registry will be a closed Dot Brand registry, also known as a Single Entity Registry. All domain name registrations in the .nokia TLD will be registered to Nokia Corporation, and maintained by the Registry Operator for the exclusive use of members of the Nokia group of companies, its employees, subsidiaries and appropriate affiliates.
Nokia has no plans to sell, distribute or transfer the control or use of any registrations in the .nokia TLD to any third party.
As the .nokia registry will be a Single Entity Registry, Nokia is seeking an exemption from the Code of Conduct in Specification 9 of the Registry Operators’ Agreement.
Registration of a .nokia domain name is done in four steps: Eligibility Confirmation, Naming Convention check, Acceptable Use review and finally Registration. After Registration, the license holder of a .nokia domain name must comply with the Acceptable Use rules.
Revoking a .nokia domain name licence
The Nokia Domain Name Management Team may revoke the license to use a .nokia domain name for the reasons outlined below:
• Eligibility Reconsideration: If there is a change in status, for example if the domain name requestor ceases to be a member of the Nokia group of companies.
• Breach of warranty: If a warranty supplied by the domain name requestor is breached.
• Incorrect information: If misleading, incomplete or incorrect information is supplied in the application.
• Following a UDRP, URS or court decision: If a UDRP or URS panel decision or court of competent authority determines that a .nokia domain name should no longer be licensed to the Registrant, it shall be removed from the registry.
• Improper use: If the .nokia domain name, or the use of the .nokia domain name, is not in the best interests of Nokia Corporation.
• Instruction: If instructed by the Registrant.
• Failure to comply with this policy: If the Registrant fails to comply with this policy.
Each applied for character string must conform to the .nokia rules of eligibility. Each .nokia name must:
• Be at least 3 characters and no more than 63 characters long;
• Not contain a hyphen on the 3rd and 4th position (tagged domains);
• Contain only letters (a-z), numbers (0-9) and hyphens or a combination of these;
• Start and end with an alphanumeric character, not a hyphen;
• Not match any character strings reserved by ICANN;
• Not match any protected country names or geographical terms; and
• Not be an obscene or offensive term.
The .nokia registry will be ICANN compliant: the registry will interface with the Trademark Clearinghouse, operate a Sunrise and IP Claims and all registrants must comply with the UDRP and the URS. There will be Thick Whois. Nokia will co-operate with any complaints under the PDDRP. The .nokia registry will be responsive to legal rights owners.
Will your proposed gTLD impose any measures for protecting the privacy of confidential information of registrants or users?
Nokia protects the privacy of employee and customer data of all types every day. Nokia continuously reviews and improves measures to protect confidential information. The .nokia registry plans to implement a series of measures building on this experience to protect the privacy of confidential information of users of the .nokia registry including:
• Documenting policies and procedures including an escalation process.
• Using appropriate levels of encryption and physical security.
• Training key staff and ensuring responsibilities are understood and documented in rules of conduct.
• Limiting access to records only to those employees or service providers who need access for the performance of their job duties and monitoring log records.
• Testing procedures.
• Monitoring best practice and ICANN’s mandated and recommended policies.
• Auditing the work of providers including the Escrow provider and checking data.
• Report any attempts to gain unauthorised access to appropriate enforcement authorities.
Describe whether and in what ways outreach and communications will help to achieve your projected benefits?
The .nokia registry will be a Standard, Single Entity registry, closed to third party registrants, for use only by companies within the group and pre-validated employees or affiliates of Nokia. Nonetheless, outreach and communication will be undertaken to ensure that .nokia domains are used in accordance with Nokia’s objectives. For example, guidelines will be produced and published on the Nokia intranet defining who can request a .nokia domain and how it can be used.
Similar gTLD applications: (1)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|