18(a) Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.xperia||Sony Mobile Communications AB||View|
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .XPERIA gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST, CONVENIENCE AND UTILITY.
The new .xperia gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Sony Mobile Communications AB (Sony Mobile) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand’s identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .xperia will be used by Sony Mobile to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. The .xperia gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Sony Mobile, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the brand. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for communication and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Sony Mobile is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation, a leading global innovator of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for both the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and online businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Through its Xperia™ smartphone portfolio, Sony Mobile Communications delivers the best of Sony technology, premium content and services, and easy connectivity to Sony’s world of networked entertainment experiences. In this regard, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .xperia gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Sony Mobile online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Sony Mobile’s mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest. Sony Mobile is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN’s Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .xperia gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Sony Mobile and its affiliate entities which will provide added consumer trust that .xperia domain names are trustworthy. As .xperia domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Sony Mobile’s control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .xperia domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .xperia gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Sony Mobile’s marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Sony Mobile. As Sony Mobile has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .xperia domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .xperia gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a very limited number of domain names (estimated at 5) will be registered in the first year. However, over the following few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase to a broad range of approximately 15 to 150 domain names as Sony Mobile develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
Sony Mobile intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Sony Mobile will use geographic names to localise its websites in all major countries in which it operates, across Europe, the Americas, China and Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Sony Mobile does not intend to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level initially. However, as the use of the .xperia gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that Sony Mobile will utilise IDNs within the .xperia domain space to allow internet users to engage with .xperia in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Sony Mobile is a well-recognised global brand with its XPERIA trademarks registered in forty countries or territories in the following trademark classes: Cellular or mobile phones; cellular or mobile phones featuring the capacity to perform instant messaging, to access and communicate with e-mail, to access and communicate with the Internet, to access and communicate data, and to function as a personal digital assistant (PDA); accessories for cellular or mobile phones in the nature of headsets, earpieces, batteries and cases. In addition to the registered trademarks, Sony Mobile has unregistered rights of significant importance reflected by the number of pending intellectual property rights, such as trademarks using Xperia, that have yet to be examined.
Further, Sony Mobile has in excess of 1090 existing domain names across various gTLDs and country-code TLDs (ccTLDs).
Recently, Sony Mobile was successful in securing domain name registrations during the sunrise phase of the launch of the ,xxx domain space based on existing trademark registration.
Sony Mobile believes that the .xperia gTLD is unlikely to cause confusion with either a generic term or any existing TLDs. Sony Mobile trademarks are a leading global brand with significant reputation across Europe, the Americas, China and Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa, with products and accessories available in all of these markets. Sony Mobile has used the term xperia in conjunction with its smartphone products business for almost 5 years.
Similar gTLD applications: (0)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|