18(c) What operating rules will you adopt to eliminate or minimize social costs?
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.web||Web.com Group, Inc.||View|
18(c) What operating rules will you adopt to minimize social costs (e.g., time or financial resources costs, as well as various types of consumer vulnerabilities? What other steps will you take to minimize negative consequences⁄costs imposed upon consumers?
As stated earlier, we take our responsibilities in this area very seriously. To demonstrate our commitment to make the .web gTLD more resistant to abusive behavior than other gTLDs that currently exist, Web.com has explored various mechanisms to help prevent abusive registrations. We were particularly impressed with the set of 31 Proposed Security, Stability and Resiliency Requirements for Financial TLDs that were developed by the Security Standards Working Group (SSWG) under the guidance of the financial services industry. Following their recommendation that all potential applicants look at these standards for their own TLDs, Web.com has completed a thorough review to determine which ones might enhance the .web gTLD experience. While not all of the proposed standards are applicable to the .web gTLD, we will endeavor to implement several of them to aid in our efforts to prevent and mitigate abusive registrations. In addition to the mechanisms described in 18 (b)(iv), we will undertake the following efforts:
• An Acceptable Use policy that clearly defines what is considered abuse and what registrants may and may not do with their domain names
• A seasoned abuse mitigation team that has years of experience in dealing with these issues
• Technological measures for removal of orphan glue records
• Efforts and measures to promote accurate and complete ‘Whois’
• Requirements for .web accredited registrars to enact measures in support of these efforts
• Extended Sunrise services
• Extended trademark claims service
• Name Selection Policy
• Acceptable Use Policy
• Support for URS and UDRP
• Rapid takedown or suspension where necessary
• Anti-Abuse Process
• Enhanced Authentication
• Malware Code Identification
• DNSSEC signing service
• Biannual‘WHOIS’ Verification
• Participation in anti-abuse community activities
18(c)(i) How will multiple applications for a particular domain name be resolved, for example, by auction or on a first-come⁄first-serve basis?
Web.com will launch the .web gTLD in the following phases:
• Sunrise A: This initial phase will allow the trademark community the ability to secure the .web domains associated with their brands for a 60-day period.
• Possible Sunrise B: This second phase could be available for previously registered names in other gTLDs.
• Landrush: Following the Sunrise phases, Landrush will allow registrants to register domains at a premium price point. Multiple submissions for the same domain name will be resolved through auction, with an auction provider to be named at a later date.
• General Availability: This final phase will be open to the general public. Domains may be registered on a first-come⁄first-serve basis.
18(c)(ii) Explain any cost benefits for registrants you intend to implement (e.g., advantageous pricing, introductory discounts, bulk registration discounts).
Web.com, like ICANN, has every incentive to see the .web gTLD become a ubiquitous online presence, serving Internet users globally and spurring online innovation. As such, we will institute necessary incentives to encourage rapid rollout and growing adoption of the .web gTLD, with policies to be developed and adopted in the future as necessary.
18(c)(iii) Note that the Registry Agreement requires that registrars be offered the option to obtain initial domain name registrations for periods of one to ten years at the discretion of the registrar, but no greater than ten years. Additionally, the Registry Agreement requires advance written notice of price increases. Do you intend to make contractual commitments to registrants regarding the magnitude of price escalation? If so, please describe your plans.
Web.com intends to price its domains competitively to maximize sales, while at the same time ensuring profitable, secure, and sustainable operations. It is premature to elaborate on specific policies at this stage in the process, but we intend to be responsive to market demands and share ICANNʹs desire to ensure a rapid spread and adoption of .web. Web.com will fully comply with all necessary and recommended notification requirements in the event that price increases are necessary.
Similar gTLD applications: (0)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|