18(a) Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.sener||Sener Ingeniería y Sistemas, S.A.||View|
The mission and purpose of the new restricted .sener gTLD is to benefit internet users by ensuring increased trust and confidence through the elimination of user confusion and assurance of brand authenticity.
The new .sener gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which SENER Ingeneria y Sistemas S.A. (SENER) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brands identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .sener gTLD will be used by SENER to provide information and resources regarding SENER’s engineering projects, products and services to clients in a way that promotes trust, innovation and utility. The .sener gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for SENER, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the SENER brand. Second and third level domains can then be utilised to provide specific domain names for engineering projects and for marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
SENER is a global engineering, construction and systems integration company with over 50 years of experience. SENER, a member of SENER Grupo de Ingeneria, S.A. (SENER Group), has four business units comprising Civil & Architecture, Aerospace, Energy & Processes and Marine. Founded in Spain, SENER is an international leader in civil engineering and architecture, aerospace engineering, aeronautics and vehicles, actuator and control systems, power and processes and marine engineering. SENER employs over 2,500 professionals in 13 offices located in nine countries across the world. SENER expects to open new offices in a further six countries in the near future. SENER is committed to offering its clients quality solutions and products that are technologically efficient and innovative. In this regard, brand reputation, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities. The new .sener gTLD will promote SENER as a leading edge brand with a strong online presence, provide improved and trusted access to SENER’s services and facilitate easy and accurate exchange of information between SENER and its clients.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .sener gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with SENER online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
SENER’s mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest. SENER is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN’s Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .sener gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to SENER and its affiliate entities, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that .sener domain names are trustworthy. As .sener domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under SENER’s control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .sener domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .sener gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting SENER’s marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with SENER. As SENER has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .sener domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .sener gTLD, the projected number of registrations is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that around 60 domain names will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase to about 2000 domain names as SENER expands into new jurisdictions and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
As the new .sener gTLD expands and evolves, SENER may consider offering the use of second level domain names to its affiliates, employees and partner firms associated with SENER at a later date. In this endeavour, SENER will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. SENER will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .sener gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
SENER will create relevant domain names for engineering projects, products, services and geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, SENER will use geographic names to localise its websites in countries in which it has offices and in other countries where it is working on engineering projects. It is anticipated that the number of geographic names used at the second level will increase as SENER opens new offices, offers more products and services and obtains engineering work in new countries. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
SENER intends to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level in Spanish, French, Arabic, Japanese, Chinese, Polish and Russian. The use of IDNs will allow internet users to engage with .sener in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity. As the use of the .sener gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that the use of IDNs, including additional languages, will increase within the .sener domain space.
SENER is a well-recognised global brand with its trademarks registered in 40 countries and territories, including the European Community, USA and Japan, for the following categories: Lubricants and fuels (Class 4); Metal goods (Class 6); Machinery (Class 7); Electrical and scientific apparatus (Class 9); Vehicles (Class 12); Advertising and business services (Class 35); Building construction and repair services (Class 37); Telecommunications services (Class 38); Treatment of materials (Class 40); and Computer and scientific services (Class 42).
SENER has existing domain names with an exact match to the “SENER” trademark in the following spaces:
- gTLDs: .biz, .org, .mobi, .tel and .aero.
- country-code TLDs (ccTLDs): .es, .com.es, .eu, .asia, .ae, .com.mx, .pl, .pt and .sg.
Additionally, SENER has existing domain names containing the “SENER” trademark in 17 gTLDs and 10 ccTLDs. Recently, SENER was successful in securing sunrise application for the .xxx domain space based on existing trademark registration.
Similar gTLD applications: (0)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|