18(b) How do you expect that your proposed gTLD will benefit registrants, Internet users, and others?
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.sbs||SPECIAL BROADCASTING SERVICE CORPORATION||View|
18(B) I. WHAT IS THE GOAL OF YOUR PROPOSED gTLD IN TERMS OF AREAS OF SPECIALTY, SERVICE LEVELS OR REPUTATION?
The key goals of the proposed new .sbs gTLD are in line with ICANN’s Affirmation of Commitments: to promote consumer trust, competition and consumer choice. SBS also seeks to foster its online reputation and provide an authoritative internet space through which SBS is able to communicate with its customers directly and effectively. The ability to create domain names on demand related to specific marketing, specialty service and product development supports these goals. Strengthened security measures, service levels and more effective functionality will provide a trusted and positive user experience.
18(B)II. WHAT DO YOU ANTICIPATE YOUR PROPOSED gTLD WILL ADD TO THE CURRENT SPACE, IN TERMS OF COMPETITION, DIFFERENTIATION, OR INNOVATION?
It is anticipated that the proposed .sbs gTLD will make positive contributions to the wider internet community by providing:
DIFFERENTIATION (INCREASED TRUST):
The .sbs gTLD will simplify how internet users interact with SBS by providing a distinctive domain space for access by viewers and audiences as a gateway to its various services such as SBS Television, SBS Radio and SBS Online. Internet users will be able to navigate to the .sbs gTLD site easily, saving time and resources searching for an official site or the relevant content of interest. It will also promote ease of communication for SBS when promoting the .sbs gTLD site on its television, radio and online services. The current domain name system has shown that it is vulnerable to malicious abuses due to registration of domain names which seek to exploit consumer confusion. By maintaining complete control over the domain names registered under the .sbs domain space, SBS will be able to differentiate its online presence for being a trustworthy and dependable source of information, news, sport and entertainment. From extensive research on SBS’ online access, SBS recognises the obstacle for users finding the relevant content amongst the huge diversity of content that the company offers. SBS anticipates that the proposed .sbs gTLD will streamline access and make it easier for its users to find and engage with the relevant content they need. Together with consumer trust, internet users will be able to rely on the authoritativeness of the domain names under the .sbs domain space, which will differentiate interaction between internet users and SBS online.
The differentiation of the .sbs gTLD as a trusted site for SBS will drive existing and new TLD registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs. Internet users will be encouraged to interact with domain names under the .sbs domain space. As a result, .sbs will have a flow on effect to enable increased competition. Therefore, the benefits of the proposed .sbs gTLD will be distributed not only to its direct customers, but to the internet community at large forcing improved services and competitive pricing in the market place.
With the expansion of the internet community to all corners of the world, the existing TLD structure presents limitations, not only in the availability of domain names for registrants, but also to businesses and organisations establishing a coherent global online brand presence to meet their evolving business needs. It is often difficult to register a domain name in the existing domain space due to unavailability of the desired name. Even when the desired domain name is available, it may come with a high price tag associated with a purchase of such desired name from a third party. SBS has the ability to create second or third level domain names including the use of IDNs on demand which are relevant to its multilingual customer base, services and products. SBS will be able to combine its use of the domain space with innovative user focused marketing and services to address the currently unmet needs in the existing domain name system providing greater consumer choice.
The proposed .sbs will provide a positive user experience, which meets the changing and growing needs of the global internet community. SBS will maintain control in the registration and use of domain names and will ensure that the new gTLD will only be used for purposes authorised by SBS. Therefore, the .sbs gTLD will:
- provide an easy and intuitive reference and access point for promotional and marketing initiatives across SBS’ platforms via SBS Television, SBS Radio and SBS Online;
- represent authenticity by differentiating the .sbs brand from other online sites thus promoting user confidence;
- direct internet users to relevant information in a timely manner by creating domain names on demand and providing users with a more simplified domain name when accessing the relevant content they need from SBS’ large web network;
- allow the use of IDNs, at a later stage, to enable customer to interact directly in their native language and encourage the cultural and linguistic diversity that SBS upholds;
- enhance security and minimise security risks by implementing necessary technical and policy measures;
- strengthen brand reputation and user confidence by eliminating user confusion; and
- prevent potential abuses in the registration process reducing overall costs to businesses and users.
SBS does not intend to use geographic names or Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level initially. However, as the use of the .sbs gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that SBS will utilise geographic names and IDNs to:
- localise its websites in the regions relevant to its operation;
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory;
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory;
- allow its multilingual internet users to engage with and access .sbs in their native language; and
- create a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
The use of geographic names will be in accordance with the registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22.
.sbs should address the concerns that the current domain name system is open to potential malicious abuse and user confusion in the registration processes. Although the current system allows an eligible party to lodge a claim through existing Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) or other dispute resolution processes, the .sbs gTLD will reduce potential abuses in the registration processes and overall costs to internet users. User confidence in the domain name system will be strengthened, which will ultimately contribute towards promoting ICANN’s core values in benefiting the public interest.
18(B)IV. PROVIDE A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF THE APPLICANTʹS INTENDED REGISTRATION POLICIES IN SUPPORT OF THE GOALS LISTED ABOVE.
The proposed registration policy is attached in response to Question 28.
Only SBS’ own entities will be eligible to register domain names in .sbs at this stage. The domain name registration processes will address the requirements mandated by ICANN, including rights abuse prevention measures.
18(B)V. WILL YOUR PROPOSED gTLD IMPOSE ANY MEASURES FOR PROTECTING THE PRIVACY OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION OF REGISTRANTS OR USERS? IF SO, PLEASE DESCRIBE ANY SUCH MEASURES.
SBS is committed to protection of privacy and confidential information in accordance with its objective of increasing consumer trust and providing a safe and legitimate internet space for internet users. Privacy and confidential information will be protected in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations relating to internet security, privacy and user’s confidential information including the 11 Information Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988 (Australia).
- Collection: SBS only collects personal information for purposes that are directly related to its functions and activities under the SBS Act. When SBS collects such personal information, users will be informed of the reason and purpose for which the information is being collected. If the collection is authorised or required by law, SBS will inform the user of such a requirement.
- Information collected via SBS’ website: SBS may collect information relating to the user’s server address, date and time of visit and pages accessed for statistical purposes only.
- Use and disclosure: SBS will only use the personal information it collects and records for the purposes for which it was supplied unless the user has consented for the disclosure of the information for other reasons or has been made aware that such disclosure is likely.
- Access and correction: Users are entitled to obtain access to records that contain personal information about them by contacting SBS’ Privacy Contact Officer.
- Security: SBS takes steps to ensure that the personal information it collects is protected against loss, and unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or other misuse.
SBS will deploy Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC) which is intended to benefit both SBS and its users interacting with SBS online. DNSSEC provides additional security by validating information in the transmission, therefore it is intended to benefit those who publish information in the domain name system (DNS) and the users who retrieve information from the new .sbs gTLD. SBS already implements measures to protect privacy or confidential information of its users against misuse, loss, alteration and unauthorised access. Such measures include the use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption and the implementation of other internal technical practices.
SBS will continue to apply all security measures currently implemented and will comply with all other policies and practices required by ICANN in the Registry Agreement and any relevant Consensus Policy for protecting the privacy and confidential information of registrants and users in the new .sbs domain space.
18(B)VI. DESCRIBE WHETHER AND IN WHAT WAYS OUTREACH AND COMMUNICATIONS WILL HELP TO ACHIEVE YOUR PROJECTED BENEFITS.
The proposed new gTLD will be publicised by a media plan to promote recognition of the new gTLD within the internet community to be a trusted site and as a sign of authenticity.
SBS has television, radio and online platforms to use to promote the gTLD together with the resources of the marketing division to support the promotion. SBS will be able to very quickly change its domain name in all communication and ensure that Australians are aware of the new gTLD.
SBS would also seek to promote the .sbs brand in its internal communications, including implementing an email format such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
During the initial stage of the operation of the proposed new gTLD, it is anticipated that internet users will be re-directed to current websites. However, over time, it is foreseen that communication to the internet community of the existence of the proposed new gTLD and encouragement to utilise the trusted site will contribute towards minimising malicious abuses and protecting internet users.
Similar gTLD applications: (0)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|