18(a) Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.SHELL||Shell Information Technology International Inc||View|
The applicant, Shell Information Technology International Inc (“SITI Inc”), is a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell plc. The companies in which Royal Dutch Shell plc directly and indirectly owns investments are separate entities. In this application for the .SHELL gTLD, “Shell”, “Shell group” and “Royal Dutch Shell” and likewise the words “we” and “us” have been used for convenience where specific reference to Royal Dutch Shell plc or its named subsidiary companies, including the applicant, Shell Information Technology International Inc, serves no useful purpose.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies, headquartered in the Netherlands with its parent company, Royal Dutch Shell plc, incorporated in England and Wales. Shell strives to meet the world’s demand for energy in economically, environmentally and socially responsible ways. It produces about 2% of the world’s oil and 3% of the world’s gas. Shell’s core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people inform every aspect of its work.
Shell’s businesses are:
• Upstream: explores for and extracts crude oil and natural gas
• Downstream: refines, supplies, trades and ships crude worldwide; manufactures and markets a range of products; and produces petrochemicals for industrial customers
• Projects & Technology: manages delivery of Shell’s major projects and drives the research and innovation to create technology solutions.
In 2010, Shell invested over USD 1 billion in research and development.
With over 90,000 employees spread across more than 90 countries, Shell is a global company. Shell relies upon the internet for the delivery of secure communications internally, between Shell operating companies, and externally with a wide range of third parties.
Investment in the .SHELL gTLD underscores Shell’s commitment to innovation and its policy of investing in research and development. Shell sees itself as a pioneer amongst brands that make innovative use of new communications technologies.
The Mission of the .SHELL registry is:
• To enhance secure internet communication between Shell and key audiences - including customers, partners, media, those affected by its business, and the public at large - while providing Shell with a platform for possible future innovation, and protecting the integrity of the Shell brand in the Domain Name System.
The Purpose of the .SHELL registry, which will be a standard registry as opposed to a community-based registry is:
• To provide a stable and secure platform for electronic communication that is within the direct control of Shell.
• To keep Shell at the forefront of internet technological development. Shell will use best-practice DNS configuration and functionality, and will monitor the development of new technologies so that it is in a position to exploit them as appropriate.
• To ensure that the integrity of the Shell brand is maintained.
• The .SHELL gTLD will reflect the Shell brand’s importance and global reach.
• Securing the term “Shell” in the top level of the DNS is a natural extension of Shell’s brand strategy for the second level of the DNS.
The success of the .SHELL registry will be judged by the security, stability and innovation it brings to Shell’s communications, and by enhancement of the equity that rests in the Shell brand. Its success will not be determined by the number of domains created, or by income generated by registrations.
Similar gTLD applications: (0)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|