18(a) Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .STARHUB gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST, CONVENIENCE AND UTILITY.
The .starhub gTLD will create a new generation gTLD serving the interests of end users by providing an authoritative internet space where information, services and resources of the brand, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the brand will be closely controlled by StarHub Ltd (StarHub). The majority of the anticipated domain name registrations in the .starhub gTLD will be used in the promotion and communication of the StarHub brand and its info-communication and multimedia services. A subset of domain names has the potential to be created and used for online communication and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
StarHub is Singapore’s fully-integrated info-communications company, offering a full range of information, telecommunication and entertainment services for both consumers and corporate customers. Since its establishment in 2000, StarHub has become one of Singapore’s most innovative info-communications providers, and the pioneer in delivering unique integrated and converged services to all its customers. StarHub is listed on the main board of the Singapore Exchange since October 2004 and is a component stock of the Straits Times index and the MSCI Singapore Free Index. Amongst its other accolades, StarHub was ranked 17th in Brand Finance Singapore Top 100 Brands 2011, voted 9th as the most-admired Singapore company in the Wall Street Journal’s Asia 200 survey in 2010 and awarded Best Brand in the World Communications Awards in 2009. StarHub is one of Singapore’s most innovative info-communications and multimedia providers. In this regard, continuous innovation, strengthened online presence and consumer trust are paramount business considerations as reflected in its commitment to engage in the next generation of online navigation through the .starhub gTLD.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .starhub gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with StarHub online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
StarHub’s mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest. StarHub is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN’s Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .starhub gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to StarHub and its affiliate entities, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that the .starhub domain names are trustworthy. As the .starhub domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under StarHub’s control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .starhub domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN’s initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .starhub gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting StarHub’s marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with StarHub online. As StarHub has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .starhub domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .starhub gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that around 350 domain names will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase up to 1500 domain names as StarHub develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
As the new .starhub gTLD expands and evolves, StarHub may consider offering the use of second level domain names to its customers at a later date. It is anticipated that StarHub may provide its Platinum and VIP customers personalised domain names to provide customised user experience. In this endeavour, StarHub will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. StarHub will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .starhub gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
StarHub intends to create relevant domain names for its products and services in the second or third level domain names. At this stage, StarHub does not intend to use geographic names and Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level. However, as the use of the .starhub gTLD evolves, StarHub may utilise geographic names and⁄or IDNs within the .starhub domain space. The use of geographic names and⁄or IDNs are intended to:
- allow internet users to engage with .starhub in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity;
- localise its websites to connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with the required rules and regulations in the national territory.
The use of geographic names will be in accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22.
StarHub is a well-recognised brand in Singapore and across the world. Its “StarHub” word mark is registered in its main country of operation, Singapore, and the “StarHub” composite mark is registered in 9 countries including, Singapore, Japan and China for the following categories: Advertising, business management, business administration and office functions (Class 35), Telecommunications services (Class 38) and Entertainment services (Class 41).
StarHub is also the owner of the registered trademarks including “StarHub IDD 008”, “StarHub IDD 009”, “StarHub IDD 018”, “StarHub Business in Motion” and “ACCESS-StarHub”. Additionally, StarHub’s wholly owned subsidiary, StarHub Cable Vision Ltd, is the owner of “StarHub Online” and “StarHub CableTV” trademarks.
StarHub has existing domain names with an exact match to the applied-for .starhub in starhub.net.sg, starhub.com.sg, starhub.com.hk, starhub.com.my, starhub.eu and starhub.ae.
Recently, StarHub was successful in securing sunrise application in the .xxx domain space, including starhub.xxx and mystarhub.xxx based on its existing trademark registrations.
Similar gTLD applications: (0)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|