18(b) How do you expect that your proposed gTLD will benefit registrants, Internet users, and others?
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
i. General goals
.DESIGN will be an open TLD, generally available to all registrants (except in the Sunrise period). The domains can be used for any purpose, including for business use, for personal use and by organizations. There are no content or use restrictions for this TLD.
BET, inc. will design and position the .DESIGN TLD to be known as one of the premiere professional design resources on the Internet. The company will engage in marketing and branding in the design world, as well as outreach and marketing support to registrars to establish this idea in the minds of the public. .DESIGN will be designed to be user friendly, easy to use, interesting, and professionally relevant.
ii. How .DESIGN adds to the current space
The current TLD space is becoming saturated with company and design-related names. At the end of 2011, there were 95.5 million registered .com domain names and 220 million total registered domain names (Source: http:⁄⁄royal.pingdom.com⁄2012⁄01⁄17⁄internet-2011-in-numbers⁄), affording decreasing ability for companies, designers and design-focused individuals to establish a meaningful and contextually relevant Internet identity. The .DESIGN TLD opens up more options for companies seeking to establish a design-related Internet identity.
iii. User experience goals
One of the primary benefits to registrants of participation in the .DESIGN TLD is that they can build clear, easily accessible identities that will facilitate potential clientele to be more likely to find the design information and services they are seeking. Collectors and aficionados will be able to establish Internet presences clearly related to the design world. The innovation and competition that this will foster will vastly increase diversity of offerings and user choices.
iv. Registry policies
.DESIGN will be an open TLD, generally available to all registrants (except in the Sunrise period).
In general, domains will be offered for periods of one to ten years, but no greater than ten years. Initial registrations made in the Sunrise period may have a minimum number of years required. For example, there may be a policy that all Sunrise names must be registered for an initial term of at least one year.
The roll-out of our TLD is anticipated to feature the following phases:
• Reservation of reserved names and premium names, which will be distributed through special mechanisms (detailed below).
• Sunrise — the required period for trademark owners to secure their domains before availability to the general public. This phase will feature applications for domain strings, verification of trademarks via Trademark Clearinghouse and a trademark verification agent, auctions between qualified parties who wish to secure the same string, and a Trademark Claims Service.
• General Availability period — real-time registrations, made on a first-come first-served basis. Trademark Claims Service will be in use at least for the first 60 days after General Availability applications open.
The registration of domain names in the .DESIGN TLD will follow the standard practices, procedures and policies Afilias, the back-end provider of registry services, currently has in place. This includes the following:
• Domain registration policies (for example, grace periods, transfer policies, etc.) are defined in response #27.
• Abuse prevention tools and policies, for example, measures to promote WHOIS accuracy and efforts to reduce phishing and pharming, are discussed in detail in our response #28.
• Rights protection mechanisms and dispute resolution mechanism policies (for example, UDRP, URS) are detailed in #29.
Other detailed policies for this domain include policies for reserved names.
Registry reserved names
We will reserve the following classes of domain names, which will not be made generally available to registrants via the Sunrise or subsequent periods:
• All of the reserved names required in Specification 5 of the new gTLD Registry Agreement;
• The geographic names required in Specification 5 of the new gTLD Registry Agreement, and may be released to the extent that Registry Operator reaches agreement with the government and country-code manager;
• The registry operator’s own name and variations thereof, and registry operations names (such as registry.tld, and www.tld), for internal use;
• Names related to ICANN and Internet standards bodies (iana.tld, ietf.tld, w3c.tld, etc.), and may be released to the extent that Registry Operator reaches agreement with ICANN.
The list of reserved names will be published publicly before the Sunrise period begins, so that registrars and potential registrants will know which names have been set aside.
The registry will also designate a set of premium domain names, set aside for distribution via special mechanisms. The list of premium names will be published publicly before the Sunrise period begins, so that registrars and potential registrants will know that these names are not available. Premium names may be distributed via mechanisms such as requests for proposals, contests, direct sales, and auctions.
For the auctioning of premium names, we intend to contract with an established auction provider that has successfully conducted domain auctions. This will ensure that there is a tested, trustworthy technical platform for the auctions, auditable records, and reliable collection mechanisms. With our chosen auction provider, we will create and post policies and procedures that ensure clear, fair, and ethical auctions. As an example of such a policy, all employees of the registry operator and its contractors will be strictly prohibited from bidding in auctions for domains in the TLD. We expect a comprehensive and robust set of auction rules to cover possible scenarios, such as how domains will be awarded if the winning bidder does not make payment.
v. Privacy and confidential information protection
As per the New gTLD Registry Agreement, we will make domain contact data (and other fields) freely and publicly available via a Web-based WHOIS server. This default set of fields includes the mandatory publication of registrant data. Our Registry-Registrar Agreement will require that registrants consent to this publication.
We shall notify each of our registrars regarding the purposes for which data about any identified or identifiable natural person (“Personal Data”) submitted to the Registry Operator by such registrar is collected and used, and the intended recipients (or categories of recipients) of such Personal Data (the data in question is essentially the registrant and contact data required to be published in the WHOIS). We will require each registrar to obtain the consent of each registrant in the TLD for the collection and use of such Personal Data. The policies will be posted publicly on our TLD web site. As the registry operator, we shall not use or authorize the use of Personal Data in any way that is incompatible with the notice provided to registrars.
Our privacy and data use policies are as follows:
• As registry operator, we do not plan on selling bulk WHOIS data. We will not sell contact data in any way. We will not allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission by e-mail, telephone, or facsimile of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations.
• We may use registration data in the aggregate for marketing purposes.
• DNS query data will never be sold in a way that is personally identifiable.
• We may from time to time use the demographic data collected for statistical analysis, provided that this analysis will not disclose individual Personal Data and provided that such use is compatible with the notice provided to registrars regarding the purpose and procedures for such use.
As the registry operator we shall take significant steps to protect Personal Data collected from registrars from loss, misuse, unauthorized disclosure, alteration, or destruction. In our responses to Question 30 (“Security Policy”) and Question 38 (“Escrow”) we detail the security policies and procedures we will use to protect the registry system and the data contained therein from unauthorized access and loss.
Please see our response to Question 26 (“WHOIS”) regarding “searchable WHOIS” and rate-limiting. That section contains details about how we will limit the mining of WHOIS data by spammers and other parties who abuse access to the WHOIS.
In order to acquire and maintain accreditation for our TLD, we will require registrars to adhere to certain information technology policies designed to help protect registrant data. These will include standards for access to the registry system and password management protocols. Our response to Question 30, “Security Policy” provides details of implementation.
We will allow the use of proxy and privacy services, which can protect the personal data of registrants from spammers and other parties that mine zone files and WHOIS data. We are aware that there are parties who may use privacy services to protect their free speech rights, or to avoid religious or political persecution.
Similar gTLD applications: (73)
|gTLD||Full Legal Name||Detail|
|.APP||.APP REGISTRY INC.||View|
|.HOME||.HOME REGISTRY INC.||View|
|.hair||Your Hair Limited||View|
|.LTDA||DOMAIN ROBOT SERVICOS DE HOSPEDAGEM NA INTERNET LTDA||View|
|.TICKETS||Tickets TLD LLC||View|
|.BLOG||Afilias Domains No. 1 Limited||View|
|.POKER||Afilias Domains No. 5 Limited||View|
|.WEB||Afilias Domains No. 3 Limited,||View|
|.WEB||Schlund Technologies GmbH||View|
|.ART||.ART REGISTRY INC.||View|
|.MAIL||Afilias Domains No. 2 Limited,||View|
|.DESI||Afilias Domains No. 4 Limited,||View|
|.bharti||Bharti Enterprises (Holding) Private Limited||View|
|.手机||Beijing RITT-Net Technology Development Co., Ltd||View|
|.sbi||STATE BANK OF INDIA||View|
|.statebank||STATE BANK OF INDIA||View|
|.hdfc||HOUSING DEVELOPMENT FINANCE CORPORATION LIMITED||View|
|.airtel||Bharti Airtel Limited||View|
|.dabur||Dabur India Limited||View|
|.hdfcbank||HDFC Bank Limited||View|
|.vegas||Dot Vegas, Inc.||View|
|.shriram||Shriram Capital Ltd.||View|
|.موقع||Suhub Electronic Establishment||View|
|.VOTO||Monolith Registry LLC||View|
|.SHAW||Shaw Cablesystems G.P.||View|
|.VOTE||Monolith Registry LLC||View|
|.tata||TATA SONS LIMITED||View|
|.AVIANCA||Aerovias del Continente Americano S.A. Avianca||View|
|.nra||NRA Holdings Company, INC.||View|
|.delmonte||Del Monte International GmbH||View|
|.KOSHER||Kosher Marketing Assets LLC||View|
|.NOW||Global Top Level ApS||View|
|.jio||Affinity Names, Inc.||View|
|.ril||Reliance Industries Limited||View|
|.reliance||Reliance Industries Limited||View|
|.indians||Reliance Industries Limited||View|
|.TVS||T V SUNDRAM IYENGAR & SONS LIMITED||View|
|.ISMAILI||Fondation Aga Khan (Aga Khan Foundation)||View|
|.AGAKHAN||Fondation Aga Khan (Aga Khan Foundation)||View|
|.AKDN||Fondation Aga Khan (Aga Khan Foundation)||View|
|.IMAMAT||Fondation Aga Khan (Aga Khan Foundation)||View|